Here, at Mount Carmel Church, on May 23, 1864, Hancock's (Second) Corps turned south to the North Anna River; Warren's (Fifth) Corps and Wright's (Sixth) Corps here turned west to Jericho Mills on the river. Grant had his headquarters in the church on May 24. On May 27, 1864, the four corps of Grant's army, returning from the North Anna, here turned east to Cold Harbor.
Geographic Location: Caroline County
Physical Description of Location: Reedy Church, VA 22546. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Rogers Clark Road (Rt. 207). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth