Grace Evelyn Arents 1849-1926 Marker, SA-80

Grace Evelyn Arents worked tirelessly as an urban reformer and philanthropist to improve the daily life of individuals regardless of race, gender, or class. She developed a church complex that included St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, St. Andrew’s School, the Grace Arents Free Library, a teachers’ house, and a medical clinic. Arents also established a night school for working children, built public baths and playgrounds, and funded numerous social programs. She supported the formation of the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association. Her legacy continues in the activities of St. Andrew’s Church, St. Andrew’s School, and the William Byrd Community House in Oregon Hill.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 03/19/09
Year On Marker: 2009
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Marker is at the northeast corner of the intersection of S Cherry Street and Idlewood Avenue, in front of St. Andrew's School, Richmond, VA 23220.
GPS Location: 37.541907,-77.452772
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth