Situated near Jamestown, Governor’s Land originally was a 3,000-acre tract encompassing open fields between the James River and Powhatan Creek. The Virginia Company of London set the parcel aside in 1618 to seat tenants who worked the land, giving half the profits to maintain the office of the governor. Deputy Governor Samuel Argall had already established the private settlement of Argall’s Town in these environs in 1617. Virginia governors also leased the property to others. Colonial leaders including William Drummond, governor of the Carolina proprietary (1665–1667) and an insurgent in Bacon’s Rebellion of 1676 held lease-holds here. Portions of tract provided income to Virginia governors into the 18th century.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Greensprings Road, 0.5 miles north of the junction of Greensprings Road and Jamestown Road (Rt. 31). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Greensprings Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth