The present courthouse is the fourth to serve the county and the second to occupy this site. The building was erected in 1826 by Valentine Parrish, a Cumberland builder, and Dabney Cosby, a skilled Staunton brickmason who had worked for Thomas Jefferson at the University of Virginia. Jefferson's influence is seen in the Tuscan portico, full Tuscan entablature, temple form, and color scheme of red brick and white trim. The courthouse, together with the clerk's office, old jail, and original wall to exclude wandering cattle, exemplify a rural nineteenth century county seat.
Geographic Location: Goochland County
Physical Description of Location: Goochland, VA 23063. Located on River Road West (Hwy 522), 1.4 miles north of the intersection of River Road West (Hwy 522) and State Route 634. Marker is on the right when traveling north on River Road West (Hwy 522).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth