Here stood a dwelling house, constructed about 1764 by prosperous tobacco merchant, Richard Hanson, who, as a fervent Loyalist, fled Virginia in 1776. During the latter part of the Revolution, the structure became known as the Golden Ball Tavern. According to tradition, British officers serving under Cornwallis were quartered here in 1781. When Petersburg was incorporated as a town in 1784, the town council and the courts used the tavern as their first meeting place. The structure was enlarged by 1820 and utilized as a hotel until after the Civil War when it was used for a number of retail ventures. The building was demolished in 1944.
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between N Market Street and W Old Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on right when traveling north on N Market Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth