Built on this site in 1921 the Gloucester Training School became the first public high school for African Americans in Gloucester County. Thomas Calhoun Walker, Jr. and others constructed a wooden building with gifts from the Rosenwald Fund and other national and local donors. It offered African Americans an education beyond the elementary school level. A new brick structure replaced the original building by 1951 and was named for Walker in 1954. Following the integration of the county schools, the school in 1968 became Gloucester Intermediate School. The building became a middle school in 1975 and in 1986 it was named T. C. Walker Elementary School.
Geographic Location: Gloucester County
Physical Description of Location: 6086 T.C. Walker Road Abingdon, VA 23061. Located on State Route 629, 1.5 miles northeast of the junction of State Route 629 and George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17). Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on State Route 629.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth