Known first as Tyndall's Point. The colonists built a fort here in 1667. In 1676 Bacon led his rebels across the river here. Tarleton and Dundas occupied the place in October, 1781, in the siege of Yorktown. Cornwallis planned to break through the blockade here, but a storm kept him from crossing the river. The point was fortified by the Confederates in 1861 and occupied by Union troops in 1862.
Geographic Location: Gloucester County
Physical Description of Location: Gloucester Point, VA 23062. Located on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17), 2 miles southwest of the junction of George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17) and Guinea Road (Rt. 216). Marker is on the right when traveling southwest on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth