Called Mountain Road Crossing when rail service began in 1836, the settlement which came to be known as Glen Allen took its name from the homestead of a local landowner, Mrs. Benjamin Allen. Its most noted resident was Captain John Cussons, a native Englishman, Confederate scout, author, and entrepreneur. Cussons made his residence here after the Civil War and founded a successful printing company. Later he built a fashionable resort hotel known as Forest Lodge adjacent to the railroad tracks.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Glen Allen, VA 23060. Located on Mountain Road, 1.2 miles west of the intersection of Mountain Road and Woodman Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Mountain Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth