Nearby stands the glebe house of the formerly Anglican Southwark Parish that was built soon after 1724. A glebe was a parcel of land owned by a colonial church and farmed to pay the minister's expenses. This glebe house was used as a parish rectory and is one in a rare surviving group in Virginia. The first to live here was the Reverend John Cargill, a leading colonial cleric. The disestablishment of the Anglican church resulted in the property's sale into private ownership in 1802. Exterior chimneys were added and the gable roof was rebuilt as a gambrel. The property was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1975 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: 3566 Colonial Trail W (Virginia 10), about 1 mile west of intersection with Hollybush Road (State Route 618), Spring Grove, VA 23881.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth