The Gingaskin Indian Reservation was located nearby from 1640 to 1813 and was created from a land patent in 1640 that set aside land for the Accomac Indians. When the Accomacs moved there, they became known as the Gingaskins. They continued to practice their traditional economy of farming, hunting, and fishing. By the 1760s, portions of the reservation had been leased to outside groups to help support the Gingaskins, who were suffering from a decreased population and pressures from their white neighbors. The legal termination of the tribe began in 1813, essentially against the Gingaskins' will, when their land was divided into plots and deeded to surviving members.
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: 5224 Willow Oak Rd, Cape Charles, VA 23310. At intersection with US 13 Business.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth