The first African American to practice law before the Supreme Court of Virginia, Jackson lived and worked in Jackson Ward. Although local tradition holds that Jackson Ward was named for him, in fact, the ward’s name first appeared during his childhood. In 1903 Jackson secured a charter from the Commonwealth of Virginia for the Negro Development and Exposition Company to facilitate the Negro Exhibit at the Jamestown Ter-Centennial Exposition in 1907. He helped organize the Southern Negro Business League as well as the Richmond Negro Exposition of 1915. Jackson also co-authored The Industrial History of the Negro Race in Virginia.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Virginia Historical Society and Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 501 N 2nd Street, Richmond, VA 23219. Marker is at northeast corner of the intersection between N 2nd Street and E Clay Street in front of the Giles B. Jackson building.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth