Here Governor Alexander Spotswood established a colony of Germans in 1714. At that time the Rapidan River was the frontier of Virginia. On August 29, 1716, Spotswood left from this place with his Knights of the Golden Horseshoe on his exploring expedition across the mountains. The German colony later moved to Fauquier County. Spotswood lived for some years at Germanna where he was visited in 1732 by William Byrd who called his house "Spotswood's Enchanted Castle."
Geographic Location: Orange County
Physical Description of Location: 2058-2098 Germanna Hwy (Route 3 eastbound), Locust Grove, VA 22508. Marker is on right when traveling east on Route 3, in front of Germanna Foundation Visitors Center and Germanna Community College.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth