Here was located George Washington’s five-acre out-lot from Thomas Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, by grant of 15 May 1753. Fairfax also granted him a companion in-lot 77 at North Braddock Street and Fairfax Lane. The out-lot was number 16 of 80 in a 439-acre tract located outside Winchester and mostly north of present-day Fairfax Lane and National Avenue. Lord Fairfax had reserved the tract as a “Common for the Use and Benefit of the Inhabitants of the Town.” Washington owned both lots until his death in 1799; his executors sold them to Dr. Robert Mackey, a Revolutionary War surgeon, in 1805.
Geographic Location: Winchester
Physical Description of Location: 426-442 National Avenue (Virginia 7), top of T intersection with West Street, Winchester, VA 22601.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth