In 1771, George Washington replaced a deteriorated gristmill that his father, Augustine, may have erected as early as the 1730s. The new mill ground grain from Mount Vernon and neighboring farms, and was outfitted with two pairs of millstones. In 1791, Washington installed improvements that had been recently developed and patented by Oliver Evans, of Delaware. Other structures at the site included a stone whiskey distillery, a malthouse, a cooperage, a miller's cottage, and slave quarters. Washington's mill was razed around 1850, and in 1933 the Commonwealth of Virginia built a reconstruction on the original site.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22309. Located on Mt. Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235), 0.25 miles south of the intersection of Mt. Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235) and Richmond Hwy (Hwy 1). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Mt. Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth