In Mar. 1748, George Washington first visited Winchester, then known as Fredericktown, as a surveyor for Lord Fairfax. Washington purchased property in Winchester in 1753 and was an unsuccessful candidate for a House of Burgesses seat here in 1755. Winchester served as Washington's headquarters from 1755 to 1758 while he commanded Virginia troops on the western frontier during the French and Indian War. He was also involved with the construction of Fort Loudoun here and a series of other frontier forts authorized by the Virginia General Assembly during this period. He represented Frederick County in the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1758 to 1765.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Geographic Location: Winchester
Physical Description of Location: 905-909 Martinsburg Pike (US 11), about 350 north of intersection with Brooke Road (State Route 1322), Winchester, VA 22601. Marker is on right when traveling south on US 11.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth