containertop

Gate City Marker, K-11

The town was laid off in 1815 as the county seat of Scott County. The original name of Winfield, for General Winfield Scott, was changed to Estillville for Judge Benjamin Estill. In 1886, the name was changed to Gate City because of its situation in Moccasin Gap, through which the old Wilderness Road to the West passed. It was incorporated, 1892.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1941
Region: Southwest Region
Geographic Location: Scott County
Physical Description of Location: 157 Kane Street (US 421 Business), about .1 miles west of junction with US 421, Gate City, VA 24251.
GPS Location: 36.6384703830,-82.5692529980
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom