The town is on the dividing line between Grayson and Carroll counties. Its original name was Bonaparte, which was changed to Galax, the name of a mountain shrub abundant in the vicinity. In 1904 a spur of the Norfolk and Western Railroad came here, bringing the town into existence. It was incorporated in 1906.
Geographic Location: Galax
Physical Description of Location: 500-524 S. Main Street Galax, VA 24333. Located on South Main Street (Rt. 89), 0.6 miles south of the junction of South Main Street (Rt. 89) and West Stuart Drive (Hwy 221). Marker is on the left when traveling south on South Main Street (Rt. 89).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth