The Frying Pan Meeting House, constructed by 1791 on land donated by the Carter family in 1783, was used for Baptist services until 1968. Named for nearby Frying Pan Branch, the church is a rare example of 18th-century architecture in western Fairfax County. By 1840 the congregation consisted of 33 whites and 29 blacks; both black and white members are buried in the church cemetery. During the Civil War, Union and Confederate forces each used the meetinghouse several times as a picket post. The last surviving church trustee conveyed the property to the Fairfax County Park Authority in 1984.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Herndon, VA 20171. Located on Centreville Road (Rt. 657), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of Centreville Road (Rt. 657) and Frying Pan Road (Rt. 608). Marker is on the left when traveling south on Centreville Road (Rt. 657).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth