About three miles north stood Fort Mayo, commanded by Captain Samuel Harris in 1756 and visited in that year by Washington. This fort was the southernmost of the line of stockade forts built from the Potomac River to North Carolina as a frontier defense in the French and Indian War.
Geographic Location: Patrick County
Physical Description of Location: US 58 (JEB Stuart Highway) eastbound, just prior to intersection with Penn Store Road (State Route 629), Mayo River, VA 24165. Marker is on right when traveling east on 58.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth