In 1664, a colonial road here probably followed the trace of an old Indian path. Two years later, the road was extended to Aquia Creek. It became a post road in 1750, and in Sept. 1781 Gen. George Washington passed over it on the march to Yorktown. By 1900, a crude dirt road followed this route. The 1914 American Automobile Association Blue Book described it as mostly "very poor and dangerous; should not be attempted except in dry weather." By 1925, auto camps and cabins, the predecessors of auto courts and motels, stood at frequent intervals along present-day U.S. Route 1 between Washington, D.C., and Richmond.
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 1705 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1), about 1.8 miles south of intersection with Courthouse Road (County Road 630), Stafford, VA 22554. Marker is on right when traveling south on US 1.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth