Charles Chiswell established the iron-making community of Fredericksville near this point of Douglas Run, a tributary of the North Anna River. The furnace had been in blast for about five years when William Byrd in 1732 toured the site in the company of Chiswell and his iron-master, Robert Durham. An archaeological investigation of the furnace was financed by Virginia Electric and Power Company in 1970.
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 5057-5059 Courthouse Road (Virginia 208), about 1.3 miles south of intersection with Lewiston Road (County Road 601), Spotsylvania, VA 22551. Marker is on right when traveling north on Virginia 208.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth