Due to the efforts of local blacks, the Fredericksburg Normal and Industrial Institute (FNII) opened in October 1905 at the Shiloh New Site Baptist Church with about 20 students. In 1906 the board of trustees purchased land and a large farmhouse here, named it Mayfield, and opened the school in the autumn. The course of study, modeled after a university curriculum included teacher education classes as well as English, mathematics, history, geography, literature, Greek, and music. By 1938, Mayfield High School had become a part of the segregated city school system.
Geographic Location: Fredericksburg
Physical Description of Location: Fredericksburg, VA 22401. Located on Tyler Street, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the junction of Tyler Street and Dixon Street. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Tyler Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth