Fredericksburg was established in 1728 and named for Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and eldest son of King George II. It served as the county seat of Spotsylvania County from 1732 to 1778 and was an important port during the colonial era. In his youth, George Washington lived nearby at Ferry Farm. He later spoke of the city's influence on him. The town was devastated by fire in 1807 and again by the First and Second Battles of Fredericksburg that were fought here during the Civil War, yet many 18th- and 19th-century buildings remain and are listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2000
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: Kings Highway (Virginia 3), about .1 miles east of intersection with Chatham Heights Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Marker is on left when traveling east on Virginia 3.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth