Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Franklin U-126 | Marker History

Franklin Marker, U-126

Incorporated as a town in 1876, Franklin began as a Southampton County village in the 1830s. In October, 1862, during the Civil War, Union gunboats on the Blackwater River shelled the town and the railroad station. Several skirmishes occurred nearby in 1862 and 1863. A major fire destroyed 43 buildings in the town on February 26, 1881. The Camp Brothers' lumber mill and later their paper mill, as well as the peanut industry, helped Franklin prosper in this century. Franklin became an incorporated City in 1960.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1988
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Franklin, VA 23851. Located on South Main Street (Hwy 258), 0.25 miles southeast of the junction of South Main Street (Hwy 258) and East 2nd Avenue. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on South Main Street (Hwy 258).
GPS Location: 36.674787,-76.919849
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth