Isaac Franklin and John Armfield leased this brick building with access to the wharves and docks in 1828 as a holding pen for enslaved people being shipped from Northern Virginia to Louisiana. They purchased the building and three lots in 1832. From this location Armfield bought bondspeople at low prices and shipped them south to his partner Franklin, in Natchez, Mississippi, and New Orleans, Louisiana, to be sold at higher prices. By the 1830s they often sold 1,000 people annually, operating as one of the largest slave-trading companies in the United States until 1836. Slave traders continuously owned the property until 1861.
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: 1315 Duke Street Alexandria, VA 22314. Located in the city of Alexandria. Follow Route 1 for 1/2 of a mile, then take a left onto Duke Street. Marker is on the right after 3 blocks.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth