Fourth Baptist Church is the first black Baptist church erected in Church Hill. The congregation, composed of enslaved men and women, met before 1861. During the Civil War, the group gathered in the white Leigh Street Baptist Church’s basement. In 1865, the members moved to the Union barracks on Chimborazo Hill, and the church was formally organized on 2 Dec. 1865 with the Reverend Scott Gwathmey as its first pastor. Using lumber from the demolished barracks, the congregation soon built its own church, and another followed in 1875. This building, with a Greek Revival exterior and Victorian interior, was completed in 1884.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Virginia Historical Society and Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed location - 2800 P Street, Richmond, VA 23223-6659
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth