Col. William Preston constructed Fort William nearby in 1755 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. A group of Indians paid a friendly visit in Oct. 1755, and Col. George Washington inspected the fort during his frontier tour in 1756. Indians attacked the fort in Oct. 1756 but were repulsed. In 1763, during Pontiac's War (1763-1764), nearby settlers flocked to Fort William for protection.
Geographic Location: Botetourt County
Physical Description of Location: Troutville, VA 24175. Located on Roanoke Road (Hwy 220), 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Roanoke Road (Hwy 220) and State Route 670. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Roanoke Road (Hwy 220).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth