South of here, on a bluff overlooking the James River, stands the half-mile-long Fort Pocahontas, built in the spring of 1864 by Union soldiers during the Civil War. The fort protected Union vessels on the river and guarded the landing at Wilson's Wharf. Commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward A. Wild and manned by the 1st and 10th Regiments of U.S. Colored Troops and two guns of Battery M, 3d N.Y. Light Artillery, the 1,500-man garrison beat back assaults by 2,500 cavalrymen under Confederate Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee on 24 May 1864. It was the only Civil War battle in Virginia in which nearly all the Union troops were black.
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and Sturgeon Point Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth