Named in honor of Confederate Maj. Gen. George Edward Pickett upon its creation in 1942, Camp Pickett was dedicated to the cause of a "reunited nation at war." Established as a 46,000-acre World War II Army installation, Camp Pickett was home to eight combat divisions, seven infantry divisions, and one armored division, during both the European and the Pacific campaigns. The famed "Cross of Lorraine" 79th Infantry Division trained here before the invasion at Normandy. The post was redesignated Fort Pickett and became a full-time training facility in 1974.
Geographic Location: Nottoway County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection of Military Road and Cox Road (US 460 Business). Marker is on right when traveling east on Cox Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth