Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Fort Nelson K-265 | Marker History

Fort Nelson Marker, K-265

On the site of Portsmouth’s Naval Hospital stood Fort Nelson. There, Virginia’s Revolutionary government late in 1776 constructed the fort of timber and rammed earth. Three years later, the British fleet commanded by Admiral Sir George Collier confiscated its artillery and supplies and destroyed most of the parapet. In 1779 – 1781, Lord Cornwallis and General Benedict Arnold occupied the fort. It was reconstructed in 1799 of earth lined with brick, following a design by architect B. Henry Latrobe, and abandoned after the War of 1812. The Confederate government strengthened Fort Nelson, but on 10 May 1862 the Union army occupied Norfolk and Fort Nelson.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1997
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: 301-599 Crawford Parkway, Portsmouth, VA 23704. Marker is in park like median away from river near intersection with Court Street.
GPS Location: 36.840268,-76.301779
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth