Fort Monroe Marker, W-90
The fort was begun in 1819 and named for President James Monroe. It remained in possession of the Union forces, 1861-65, and from it as a base McClellan began the Peninsular Campaign, 1862. Jefferson Davis was imprisoned here, 1865-67.
Marker Information:Year On Marker: 1928
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23651. Located on Ingalis Road, 0.5 miles south of the junction of Ingalis Road and East Mercury Blvd (Rt. 143). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Ingalis Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth