In this vicinity stood Fort Lyon, the major fortification on the left flank of the Federal defenses guarding the city of Washington during the Civil War. Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon, the fort covered an area of nine acres with its forty gun-emplacements. New York, Massachusetts and Ohio troops garrisoned here controlled the Hunting Creek valley, the Little River Turnpike, and the railroad depot as well as the town of Alexandria. On 10 June 1863, President Lincoln personally inspected the damage caused by the spectacular explosion of the fort's powder magazine.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22303. Located on North Kings Hwy (Rt. 241), 0.5 miles southeast of the intersection of North Kings Hwy (Rt. 241) and Telegraph Road (Rt. 611). Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on North Kings Hwy (Rt. 241).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth