Here in 1861 Confederates constructed an eight gun "water battery" principally for the defense of Fredericksburg. The guns were manned by the 55th Infantry Regiment located 500 yards N.W. The cannons were moved and the fort abandoned March 1862 after Northern Neck troop withdrawal left unit defenseless. On April 14, 1862, six Union gun boats bombarded and burned the installation. Thereafter, the fort functioned in limited capacity until the war ended. Error: Note that the third sentence on the marker is incorrect, and should read: The cannons were moved and the fort abandoned March 1862 after Northern Neck troop withdrawal left it defenseless.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: South, VA 22454. Located on State Route 680, 1.5 miles north of the intersection of State Route 680 and State Route 711. Marker is on the right when traveling north on State Route 680.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth