Located two miles N.E. on Rappahannock River at Lowry's Point was a Confederate eight gun "water battery" constructed in 1861. Here at Dunnsville was located Camp Byron, home of Company F (Essex Light Dragoons), Ninth Cavalry, C.S.A.; the company moved to Fort Lowry in October 1861 to assist in the fort's defense and to conduct scouting missions.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: Dunnsville, VA 22454. Located on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17), 2.25 miles southeast of the intersection of Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17) and Marshfield Road. Marker is on the right when traveling southeast on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth