Col. Charles Lewis, younger brother of Gen. Andrew Lewis, acquired 950 acres of land on the Cowpasture River in June 1750. Nearby, Fort Lewis, a small stockade, initially under the command of then Capt. Charles Lewis, was constructed by 1756 to guard the strategic pass of the Shenandoah Mountain. It was one in a series of forts authorized by the General Assembly to be built on the frontier to protect settlers during the French and Indian War. Fort Lewis existed at least until the end of the war in 1763. The Lewis manor house is located close to where the fort once stood.
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: 24019. Located on State Route 625, 2.75 miles south of the intersection of State Route 625 and Scotch Town Draft. Marker is on the left when traveling south on State Route 625.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth