Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Fort Huger K-327 | Marker History

Fort Huger Marker, K-327

One mile northeast, at Hardy’s Bluff on Lawne’s Neck, existed Fort Huger, a Civil War earthen fortification. Virginia State Engineer Col. Andrew Talcott authorized this and other forts to block any Union naval advance up the James River to Richmond. Beginning in July 1861, enslaved and freed blacks assisted in the construction of Fort Huger. It formed the right riverine flank of Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder’s Peninsula defenses in 1862. Union gunboats engaged Fort Huger on 8 May 1862 and USS Monitor shelled it on the 12th. After several bombardments, Confederate forces abandoned it by 19 May.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 03/08/06
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Rushmere, VA 23430. Located on Fort Huger Drive, less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of Fort Huger Drive and Old Stage Hwy (Rt. 10). Marker is on the left when traveling north on Fort Huger Drive.
GPS Location: 37.076334,-76.684368
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth