In November 1862, Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. John Bell Hood constructed this fort a half mile northeast on the Rappahannock River in an effort to prevent Union gunboats from ascending the river toward Fredericksburg. Four rifled guns of Capt. H. M. Ross's Georgia Battery briefly occupied the work, but were withdrawn when the Union army crossed the river upstream from here on 11 December. Two days later, during the Battle of Fredericksburg, Union troops of the Iron Brigade captured the fort after a brief skirmish with the 13th Virginia Cavalry, which guarded this portion of the Confederate line.
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: South corner of intersection between Tidewater Trail (Virginia 2) and Benchmark Road (County Road 608), Fredericksburg, VA 22408.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth