Fort George was built in the spring of 1757 by Captain William Preston, acting on orders of Major Andrew Lewis. Local residents assisted in construction of the 80-foot-square log fort located on the land of Wallace Estill. It was never attacked directly by Indians, although arrows were shot at it from a ridge across the Bullpasture River. The fort site is located in the meadow southeast of this marker.
Geographic Location: Highland County
Physical Description of Location: Stonewall, VA 24458. Located on State Route 678, 3 miles east of the junction of State Route 678 and State Route 609. Marker is on the left when traveling east on State Route 678.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth