Confederate troops, the remnant of the Army of the Northwest commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward "Allegheny" Johnson, constructed this fortification about 1 Apr. 1862 to protect the Shenandoah Valley, the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy." Federal troops briefly occupied the fort after he withdrew to West View near Staunton later that month. With Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Army of the Shenandoah, Johnson's command confronted Union forces under Brig. Gen. Robert H. Milroy and Brig. Gen. John C. Frémont at the Battle of McDowell on 8 May. Johnson's ankle was shattered during this first victory in Jackson's famous Valley campaign.
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: Roanoke, VA 24019. Located on Hanky Mountain Hwyf (Hwy 250), 4.5 miles east of the intersection of Hanky Mountain Hwyf (Hwy 250) and State Route 614. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Hanky Mountain Hwyf (Hwy 250).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth