Named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, this roughly square earthen redoubt served as a part of the outer line of defense for Lynchburg in June 1864. Fort Early and the outer fortifications were constructed to provide additional protection for the vital railroad facilities in Lynchburg threatened by Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter's troops after Early arrived on 17 June. On 18 June, Hunter advanced his troops towards Confederate positions, while Union artillery bombarded Fort Early and other Confederate fortifications. After a number of unsuccessful assaults during the day, Hunter ordered a retreat that night. His troops withdrew to the southwest toward present-day Roanoke.
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24501. Located at the intersection of Fort Avenue (Hwy 460) and Memorial Avenue (Rt. 163).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth