The site was about one-half mile north of the river. This was one of a chain of frontier forts ordered erected by the Virginia legislature early in 1756. The chain extended from Hampshire County (now West Virginia) to Patrick County on the North Carolina border. These forts were established under the supervision of Colonel George Washington, who made an inspection tour of the chain. This Fort was attacked by Indians at least once in 1756 and again the next year.
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: 23920. Located on Piney Pond Road (Hwy 58), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Piney Pond Road (Hwy 58) and Co. Road 657. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Piney Pond Road (Hwy 58).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth