Nearby to the south stood Fort Christanna, a wooden structure built in 1714 under the auspices of Alexander Spotswood and the Virginia Indian Company. Members of the Meiponsky, Occaneechi, Saponi, Stuckenock, and Tutelo Indian tribes lived within the fort and built a nearby settlement. The fort included a frontier trading post and the English operated a school to educate and convert the Indians to Christianity there. The Virginia Indian Company was dissolved in 1717; funding for the garrison ceased the next year. By 1740 the Indian groups no longer lived at the fort but had migrated to other areas nearby in the region.
Geographic Location: Brunswick County
Physical Description of Location: Lawrenceville, VA 23868. Located on Christanna Hwy (Rt. 46), 0.5 miles south of the intersection of Christanna Hwy (Rt. 46) and Governor Harrison Parkway (Hwy 58). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Christanna Hwy (Rt. 46).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth