Nearby once stood Fort Buffalo. This earthwork fortification was built by the 21st New York Infantry of the Union army in 1861 and named for the troops' hometown. During the Civil War, a concentration of forts existed in the Seven Corners section of Falls Church. These structures were used in the Federal defense of Washington. First occupied by Brig. Gen. Irvin McDowell's troops during the First Manassas Campaign, the fort was briefly occupied by the Confederates following that Federal defeat in July 1861. In the 1950s, Seven Corners shopping center and the surrounding community was developed on land once part of and surrounding Fort Buffalo.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Falls Church, VA 22044. Located on Sleepy Hollow Road (Rt. 613), 0.2 miles south of the intersection of Sleepy Hollow Road (Rt. 613) and Arlington Blvd (Hwy 50). Marker is on the left when traveling south on Sleepy Hollow Road (Rt. 613).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth