Fort Breckenridge, also called Fort Mann, stood three miles west at the mouth of Falling Spring Creek. It was built by 1756 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. Capt. Robert Breckenridge and his militia garrisoned the fort, which was inspected by Col. George Washington on his frontier tour in 1756. In 1763, during Pontiac's War (1763-1764), the Shawnee chief Cornstalk led a force against the fort but was defeated in a hard fought engagement.
Geographic Location: Alleghany County
Physical Description of Location: Hot Springs, VA 24445. Located on Hot Spring Road, 1 mile northeast of the intersection of Hot Spring Road and State Route 640. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Hot Spring Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth