Near here Captain John Ratcliffe built Fort Algernourne, 1609. In 1614, it was a stockade containing fifty people and seven cannon. In 1632, the fort was rebuilt. It was discontinued after 1667. In 1727, a new fort, Fort George, was ordered built here. This fort was destroyed by a hurricane in 1749.
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23651. Located on Ingalis Road, 0.75 miles south of the junction of Ingalis Road and East Mercury Blvd (Rt. 143). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Ingalis Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth