Formation of Southern Methodist Church Marker, QA-15

One block west stood the Union Street Methodist Church, completed in 1820. There was held the first general conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, May 1-23, 1846. At this meeting the Southern Methodist Church, which had separated from the Northern Church, effected its organization.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1931
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: 2-98 E Washington Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on right when traveling east on East Washington Street, mid block between S Sycamore Street and S Adams Street.
GPS Location: 37.2278398440,-77.4025476330
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth