Founded in 1898 by Dr. William E. Hatcher with the assistance of Charles G. Snead, Fork Union Academy established military training as part of the curriculum in 1902. It served as a coeducational school until 1909, when the trustees transformed it into an all-male academy. In 1913, it was renamed Fork Union Military Academy and became affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. From 1919 to 1965, the Academy operated a Junior Reserve Officer Training Candidate program. The Cadet Corps, consisting of an upper and middle school, occupies buildings on 307 acres.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Bremo Bluff, VA 23022. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and West River Road (Rt. 6). Marker is on the left when traveling south on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth