Fork Union Baptist Church was constituted in 1798. Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, and Baptist congregations shared as a place of worship the current church, built in 1824 and first known as the Brick Meetinghouse. Gen. John Hartwell Cocke, a local plantation owner who assisted Thomas Jefferson in establishing the University of Virginia, was its architect. It is the oldest Church building in Fluvanna County in continuous use for that purpose. In 1898, ten of its members became the original guarantors of Fork Union Military Academy. The church sanctuary was the site of the first and subsequent academy graduations until 1937.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Fork Union, VA 23022. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and West River Road (Rt. 6). Marker is on the right when traveling south on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth