First classes of Fork Union Academy were held here October 15, 1898, in the residence of Susie Payne Cooper. Established as a coeducational English and classical school, it became Fork Union Military Academy for boys in 1903. Organized by ten guarantors who were members of Fork Church, the Academy was sustained mainly by private contributions from the Fork Union community until 1913 when it became affiliated with the Baptist denomination.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Fork Union, VA 23022. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and West River Road (Rt. 6). Marker is on the left when traveling north on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth