This 105-acre site was part of William Byrd III's vast 1700s holdings along the James River. In 1836, Holden Rhodes (1799-1857), noted jurist and early president of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad Company, purchased the property, named it Boscobel, and built what is now known as the Stone House. In 1890, the Richmond & Manchester Railway Company established a trolley terminus and an amusement park here called Forest Hill Park. The amusement structures were dismantled in 1932 and the city of Richmond acquired the land in 1934. Depression-era Federal Emergency Relief Act funds paid for renovations to the Stone House and the construction of cobblestone walkways, picnic shelters, and landscape elements.
Year On Marker: 2003
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 4001-4099 Forest Hill Avenue, Richmond, VA 23225. Marker is at east corner of intersection between Forest Hill Avenue and W 41st Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth